Herkimer Diamond Quartz
Herkimer diamond quartz is treasured for its unblemished crystal appearance and strong healing properties, restoring body and mind. With its extraordinary clearness and naturally faceted ends, this gemstone popular with jewelry and crystal fans alike.
The earth's crust is made up of nearly 12 percent quartz, making quartz the most abundant single mineral on earth. Quartz comes in a variety of hues and has been in circulation for thousands of years. The name quartz comes from the Greek "krystallos" meaning ice and "querklufterz," a Saxon word meaning cross-vein ore.
Herkimer Diamond Quartz is a transparent to opaque form of quartz. This particular variety of quartz produces a double-terminated crystal meaning it has two naturally faceted ends. This rarer form of crystal forms free-floating in pockets of clay, rather than the typical crystal formation on one side of a stone. Crystal healers believe that the two faceted ends allow energy to flow both directions in this gem, boosting its power.
Submerged around 500 million years, dolomite limestone serves as the stone foundation for this gemstone. Over the course of time, silicon-infused ground water was caught in cracks around the dolomite rock. With heat and pressure, these crystals took shape. Herkimer diamond quartz was discovered in the early 1800s by the settlers of Middleville village in Herkimer, New York. Additionally, during the pre-colonial period, Mohawk Indian tribes earned the name "people of the crystals," and are thought to have possessed this precious gem.
- Quartz is thought to energize and stabilize both your body and aura. It can hold and amplify the healing and therapeutic properties of other crystals.
- Quartz is said to inspire serenity and compassion while it improves the immune system.
- Herkimer diamond quartz is called the "stone of attunement," and helps one become accustomed to new people or surroundings.
- This gem is a beneficial office accessory, as it is said to help you gain prosperity, store knowledge and stabilize company finances.
- It is regarded as the most powerful of all quartz crystals. It can be used as a pain reliever by placing it on affected areas.
- In the tradition of Feng Shui, Herkimer diamond quartz is used to disperse positive energy when placed in a window.
LOCATION: Mohawk River Valley
Herkimer diamond quartz is the general term denoting a double-terminated quartz crystal found in Herkimer County and around the Mohawk River Valley area. Both are located in New York, USA. Other countries like Tibet, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Norway and China have also found reserves of this gemstone.
Herkimer diamond quartz is a highly popular gemstone. We were fortunate to obtain a limited supply of this admired stone from a private collector who specializes in gathering fine gems that are also hard to acquire.
- Ranks 7 on the Mohs hardness scale.
- Color appears clear to pale but will also come misty, cloudy and with various color inclusions.
- Sourced from a private collector.
- Member of the quartz family.
- Diamond is the birthstone for April. Herkimer diamond quartz is an affordable alternative.
- Associated with the zodiac signs of Libra, Sagittarius and Aquarius.
- Official gemstone for Georgia.
- 100 percent natural stone; no additional treatments.