John Saul Ruby
The color red represents passion, life and love. The king of the gemstones, the ruby exemplifies beauty, desire, splendor and allure.
From the Sanskrit word "ratnaraj," meaning "king of the gemstones," and the Latin "rubens" meaning red, the ruby reigns supreme over other colored gemstones and is considered one of the most treasured jewels in history. This highly coveted gem has it all-splendid color, exceptional hardness and a superior brilliance. Praised in biblical passages as a stone of beauty and wisdom, the ruby has remained a popular gift symbolizing love and passion throughout history.
Ruby, like its sister stone sapphire, is a colored version of corundum. This solid mineral appears colorless in its pure form. Once mixed with chromium, corundum develops its radiant red hue, which ranges in shade from pink to blood red.
- The Smithsonian National Museum of History is home to one of the world's largest and finest rubies, a 23.1 carat stone set in a platinum ring with diamonds.
- The Bohemian crown of Saint Wenceslas is said to hold a cabochon-cut ruby of nearly 250 carats.
- Crystal healers believe that ruby is an energetic stone that amplifies vitality and helps overcome exhaustion and lethargy.
- Ruby is considered an aphrodisiac by some that can deepen a relationship and maintain passion and closeness between lovers.
- The ruby is a shielding crystal that helps reduce fear of the paranormal and evil and guards against psychic and psychological attack. It can protect your home and is good to wear discreetly at night for safety.
- In ancient China, rubies were placed beneath a building's foundation to secure good fortune for the structure.
Myanmar (Burma) and Sri Lanka traditionally yield some of the best rubies in the world. However, a U.S. embargo on Burmese ruby and jadeite has forced our buyers to seek out alternative ruby sources. During their gem hunt, they negotiated an impressive sample from the John Saul mines of Kenya, discovered by American geologists John Saul and Elliot Miller in 1973. These stones are some of the most gorgeous natural rubies available in today's market.
The color and splendor of John Saul rubies has exceeded expectations, putting Kenya on the gemstone map as one of the best ruby suppliers. Mining conditions for John Saul rubies has proven extremely difficult, adding to the rarity of these superb gems.
- Ranks 9 on Mohs hardness scale.
- Colors present in a variety of reds, ranging from pink to blood red.
- Sourced from the John Saul mine in Kenya.
- Birthstone for July.
- Traditional gift for 15th and 40th anniversaries.
- Our rubies are heat treated to enhance color and clarity.